C251: GENESIS CONSTRUCTION SCHOOL: Commercial Pools and Waterparks
- Identify design options, engineering challenges, construction issues, and how to assemble a team to succeed in big construction.
- List code considerations (especially ADA and MAHC), permit processing, and differences between residential projects and commercial pools and waterparks.
- Discuss working with municipalities, architects, engineers, and general contractors, expectations of project management, document control, longer schedules, cash flow, bonds, insurance, etc.
- Identify operational requirements and seasonal changes from lifeguards to maintenance.
Residential pool builders attempting larger commercial projects can quickly get themselves into trouble by not understanding the additional hurdles and associated time and expense required of larger projects. Undoubtedly, these complex projects will necessitate additional design and engineering detailing and even new construction methods. This program establishes expectations from planning to operations and guides the students toward a successful transition into large projects.
0.8 IACET CEUs
Scott Hester, P.E.
President of Counsilman • Hunsaker in St. Louis, MO
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- Principal-in-Charge of monitoring project development; reviewing shop drawings; and coordinating construction issues with the project architect, construction manager, swimming pool contractor, and other key project personnel.
As President of the Counsilman • Hunsaker team, Scott is responsible for leading the daily operations of the company. He provides comprehensive industry experiences in all aspects of Counsilman• Hunsaker including business development, design and engineering, quality control and facility operations and services. Known as a high-integrity, energetic leader Scott has a diverse portfolio of experience in aquatic facilities spanning all market sectors. Scott is also a recognized leader in the aquatics industry and has shared this knowledge by providing educational based presentations throughout the country. A past recipient of the Aquatics International Power 25 award and has also published numerous articles ranging in topics from aquatic facility design to facility operations.