Home › Program Descriptions › Design › Back
DESIGN 123: Trends in Outdoor Design
- Define a design method for the creation of comfortable and beautiful outdoor living spaces.
- Discuss outdoor living trends and the common elements in outdoor rooms.
- Understand how to better integrate the outdoor living spaces with the water elements onsite.
- Apply these concepts to a case study in outdoor living.
Trends come and go, and by their nature, they are always changing, so why pay attention to them? By understanding design trends, we are looking at what matters to our clients at a particular time. The goal, as a designer, is to create spaces that aren’t just beautiful; they are deeply satisfying to our customers, guaranteeing a glowing referral. We will discuss the types of improvements that homeowners are willing to invest more in, where the details matter and the budgets are larger. We will look at examples of trends in outdoor living, hardscape, softscape, pools and water features.
0.10 IACET CEUs
Kate Wiseman, MLA
GENESIS® Design Faculty Advisor
Principal Landscape Designer at Sage Outdoor Designs
San Diego, CA
- Bachelor’s degree, Botany, University of California at Berkeley
- Masters of Landscape Architecture, Cal Poly Pomona’s School of Environmental Design
- Member of GENESIS® Education Board
- GENESIS® Design Faculty Advisor
Kate Wiseman is the Principal landscape designer at Sage Outdoor Designs, a firm specializing in the design of beautiful residential landscapes in Southern California. She founded Sage in 2008, and since then her designs have been widely published both locally and nationally. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Botany from the University of California at Berkeley and a Masters of Landscape Architecture from Cal Poly Pomona's school of Environmental Design. Kate began teaching with GENESIS in 2012 and is currently the Design Faculty Advisor.