Home › Program Descriptions › Design › Back
DESIGN 261: Natural Streams & Ponds
- Recognize “Living” water feature concepts, biology, ecology, clarity, design, and construction.
- Discuss site evaluation, design considerations, natural and planned elements.
- Discuss mechanical, biological, bio-mechanical filtration, sterilization, circulation, equipment.
- Describe liners, concrete structures, art and physics of rock selection, acquisition, and authentic placement.
This is the most in-depth and practical course on “living” water systems offered anywhere. Presented by Anthony Archer-Wills and David Duensing, two leading experts in the field of natural streams, ponds, Koi ponds, water gardens and the use of natural stone, this program steps through the various technical and artistic considerations of recreating authentic environments that perform as mother nature would. The program includes various construction materials and methods and the subsequent decision process to select the most appropriate for a specific project. Examples of conceptual and construction drawings will be provided.
1.6 IACET CEUs
President of Anthony Archer-Wills, LLC in Copake Falls, NY
- Author of The Water Gardener, Water Power, and Designing Water Gardens
- In 2008, he received the Joseph McCloskey Prize for Outstanding Achievement in the Art and Craft of Watershaping, awarded by WaterShapes magazine.
Anthony Archer-Wills is one of the world’s foremost authorities on water gardening, responsible for developing many of the new techniques used in the construction of ponds with both concrete and flexible liners. He started his own aquatic nursery and pond construction business in the mid-1960s, and was subsequently invited by the Agricultural Training Board and British Association of Landscape Industries to train companies working in landscape design and construction. Archer-Wills wrote the leading books on the subject – The Water Gardener and Designing Water Gardens – and has lectured extensively worldwide.
David B. Duensing GENESIS® Associate
General Manager / David B Duensing Aquatic Construction Services LLC
Atlantic Beach, FL
President / David B. Duensing & Associates, Inc.
Atlantic Beach, FL
- First President of The National Association of Pond Professionals
Founded in 1989, David B. Duensing & Associates, Inc. has been one of the most active, experienced and respected design and consulting firms in the water garden and waterfeature industry. Duensing’s other company, Aquatic Construction Services, LLC., founded in 2006, focuses on the construction of highly detailed and, at times, extreme waterfeatures. He is past president of the National Association of Pond Professionals (NAPP), and writes and speaks for industry publications and associations. His construction and logistical efforts were featured alongside Anthony Archer-Wills on Animal Planet’s 2014 series The Pool Master.