CONSTRUCTION 101: Layout, Forming & Excavation
- Explain the connection between the construction documents and the formwork and excavation.
- Identify elevations, grading, slopes, cut/fill, import/export, layout, offsets, alignments, batter- boards.
- List tools, equipment, measurement techniques, surveying, transits, levels, triangulation techniques.
- Discuss Dig-Alert, safety, excavation, trenching, shoring, flashing.
Once a vessel is literally “cast-in-concrete” it is difficult and expensive to change the shape. Careful attention to detail during the layout, forming, and excavation stage is critical to ensuring that the final structure matches the construction documents. Using the right equipment for the task at hand will improve efficiency and accuracy so this module includes an overview of the basic tools of the trade. For details on full-height forming, see CONSTRUCTION 301: Advanced Site Work & Forming.
- PSP Expertise: Landscape Designers
- PSP Focus: Architect/Designer
- PSP Level 200
0.2 IACET CEUs