Home › Program Descriptions › Design › Back
DESIGN 311: Creating a Cohesive Design Concept: Materials, Details, Color, and Style
- Discuss common outdoor materials, their properties, how and when to use them, and potential drawbacks associated with the different materials
- Identify major architectural styles and appropriately utilize their iconic details.
- Discuss five methods for creating a design aesthetic: how to develop the “look” of your project.
- Analyze common design mistakes and learn how to avoid making them.
An aesthetic is a visual theme, “the style” or “the look” of a project. In this course, we will take the mystery out of creating a successful design aesthetic, selecting materials and finishes, and aligning the details of the design with the overall look of the project. You will try out five practical methods for creating a design aesthetic, and the class will culminate with a final project: creating a full palette of materials and assembling them on a vision board to present to a client. This course is an excellent complement to DESIGN 211: Elements of Design. In that class, you learned how to decide where the improvements go, and in this course, you will learn tools for deciding what they should look like.
- PSP Expertise: Landscape Designers
- PSP Focus: Architect/Designer
- PSP Level 300
1.6 IACET CEUs