ENGINEERING 103: Structural Engineering
- Define compression, tension, and shear forces, bending moments, live and dead loads.
- Describe reinforcing steel design, details, and installation.
- Discuss concrete compressive strengths and design details.
- Examine code requirements of ACI 318, ACI 350, ASA, and the IBC.
Watershape vessels must resist geologic forces and maintain a leak-free shell. The purpose of this module is to provide a basic understanding of structural design and detailing so that mistakes are avoided during construction. It is not the intent of this module to teach structural engineering. Understanding basic concepts such as the difference between a soil-retaining wall and a free-standing wall may make the difference between project success and complete structural failure. Advanced foundation design for caissons, timber piles, helical piles, auger-cast piles and other foundations are introduced in ENGINEERING 303: Pier & Beam Foundations.
- PSP Expertise: Landscape Designers
- PSP Focus: Architect/Designer
- PSP Level 200
0.2 IACET CEUs