ENGINEERING 121: Natural Swimming Pools – The Pool Reinvented – Plants Instead of Chemicals
- Discuss Natural Swimming Pools/Ponds (NSPs) and the history behind introducing this technology to the North American landscape.
- Understand principles of biological filtration and how an NSP is different from chemically-sterilized pools.
- Discuss design aesthetics and basic construction fundamentals.
- Discuss different types of NSPs in accordance with German standards.
Natural Swimming Pools (NSPs) are 100% chemical-free constructed wetland ecosystems in which all clarification and purification of the water is achieved with biological filtration. Developed in Europe over 25 years ago, NSPs are just now starting to gain foothold in the U.S. This program introduces the five (5) different types of residential NSPs in accordance with German standards as well as examples, diagrams, and photos of the various types. The science of biological filtration and microbiological standards will be discussed to demonstrate how NSPs ensure the health and safety of swimmers.
- PSP Expertise: Landscape Designers
- PSP Focus: Architect/Designer
- PSP Level 200
0.1 IACET CEUs