ENGINEERING 303: Pier & Beam Foundations
- Explain when a pier and beam foundation required.
- Recognize caissons, timber piles, helical piles, auger-cast piles, micro-piles, grade-beams, freestanding pools.
- List design, engineering, and construction considerations.
- Describe drilling, driving, pile driver analysis, and construction details.
Pier and beam foundations are required when soils cannot adequately support a structure or when the proximity of the structure to a slope would otherwise result in tilting or sliding. This module provides a basic understanding of structural design and detailing of foundations so that mistakes are avoided during construction. It is not the intent of this module to teach structural engineering.
- PSP Expertise: Landscape Designers
- PSP Focus: Architect/Designer
- PSP Level 200
- Prerequisite: ENGINEERING 103:
0.2 IACET CEUs