ENGINEERING 491: Photovoltaic Solar Systems
- Discuss basic photovoltaic solar systems for producing electrical energy to run pool equipment and other electrical loads from sunlight.
- Explain panel technology, installation methods, racking, control systems, and batteries.
- List procurement options such as purchasing, leasing, hybrid “rent-to-own” arrangements, and rebates.
- Discuss the combination of photovoltaic and passive solar systems and ways to achieve “net-zero” energy consumption for aquatic facilities.
Solar energy isn’t just limited to heating the pool water. Photovoltaic (PV) panels turn sunlight into electrical energy that often exceeds the electrical needs during the day (spinning the electric meter backwards). Some new homes are actually built with PV panels instead of traditional roofing and pool builders should understand how it works and how they might be able to offer electrical savings as part of their pool project. It was also thought that PV panels would displace the passive solar panels for pool water heating but there are benefits to stacking the PV panels over traditional passive panels.
- PSP Expertise: Builder/Installer
- PSP Focus: Builder/Installer
- PSP Level 4
0.2 IACET CEUs